Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Prayer for Restoration


“Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.  Cast me not away from Thy presence; and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me.  Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation; and uphold me with Thy free spirit.” –Psalm 51:10-12 (KJV. Read Psalm 51).

Psalm 51 is known as a penitential psalm.  The note to “the choirmaster” at the beginning of the Psalm explains that it is a psalm of David after the prophet Nathan confronted the king about his sinful encounter with Bathsheba, wife of Uriah, and of arranging for the death of her husband by sending him into the thick of battle.  The account of Nathan’s confrontation and rebuke of King David can be read in 2 Samuel 12:1-14.  Although David’s personal prayer of confession, penitence and plea for restoration, this psalm is also a universal hymn by which anyone who is truly seeking the Lord may express the sincere desire for restoration.

It is well for us to study the progression of this psalm as an example for our own prayer for restoration to fellowship with God.  Have mercy on me, O God.” (v. 1)  Without God’s mercy—His unmerited favor—we can hardly hope for restoration.  If He considers our sin and its consequent punishment without our sinful condition being tempered with His mercy, there is little hope of reconciliation with Him   “Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity.”  A plea for cleansing precedes any hope for restoration.  “I acknowledge my transgression and my sin is ever before me” (v. 3).  How weighted down is the sinner with the knowledge of his transgression.  He recognizes that, even if the sin is against others, he has sinned against God.  Through verse nine the confession of sin and the affirmation of God’s omniscience are acknowledged.  “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me” (v. 10)  The confessor of sin is now ready to make his petition before God; only God can take hold of a sinful heart and make it right; only God has the power to renew the human spirit and not cast him away and to “restore the joy of Thy salvation.”  With penitence, confession and restoration accomplished, the forgiven sinner then makes vows to God that involve what he will do for God:  “Then will I teach transgressors Thy ways” (v. 13), “my tongue shall sing aloud of Thy righteousness (v. 14); “my mouth shall show forth Thy praise (v. 15).  He considers what sacrifices the Lord desires most and determines that “a broken spirit and a broken and contrite heart” (v. 17) are far superior to any other sacrifices.  Then and only then, after complete heart-surrender to God will He be pleased with and accept any offerings we present to Him.  God is not interested in our seeking to buy His favor.  He looks on the heart.  Indeed, we need to pray daily, “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.”

Although originating with King David who reigned from about 1005 to 965 B. C., this psalm is for any age and any person who sincerely seeks with a penitent heart to approach God and experience spiritual renewal.  Confession which is an admission, declaration or acknowledgement of a condition is definitely a part of worship.  We have long heard the adage, “Honest confession is good for the soul.”  Confession of sin is a part of both private and public worship.  The important element we must remember and seek is to be sincere and honest in our confession, and in our pleas following confession.  What better prayer can we pray than that our heart be made right with God?  Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.” 

Prayer:  Today, Lord, we confess our sins and ask Your forgiveness.  Let us know the joy of deliverance and restoration.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment