Wednesday, November 14, 2012

To Escape, or to Cast Burdens on the Lord?



My heart is in anguish within me; the terrors of death have fallen upon me.  Fear and trembling come upon me, and horror overwhelms me.  And I say, ‘Oh, that I had wings like a dove!  I would fly away and be at rest; yes, I would wander far away; I would lodge in the wilderness; I would hurry to find a shelter from the raging wind and tempest…Cast your burden on the Lord, and He will sustain you; He will never permit the righteous to be moved.” –Psalm 55:4-8, 22 (ESV.  Read Psalm 55).

Many, I am sure, can identify with David, believed to be the writer of the lament voiced in Psalm 55.  In his anguish and pain he wished he could be as a dove and soar with wings away from the dangers, troubles and perplexities that assailed him.  Scholars have examined carefully what has been recorded of David’s life to try to pinpoint which of his many troubles might have inspired the words penned in this lament.  Some scholars surmise that he wrote it following the experience of being betrayed by his own son, Absalom, as recorded in 2 Samuel 15:1-12 and 16:15-23.  Other scholars surmise that, since David mentions “friend” and  that they had “sweet counsel” together (Psalm 55:13-15) that David could have been referring to the time when his chief counselor Ahitophel turned against King David (see 2 Samuel 15:12 and 16:15-23).  Regardless of the exact circumstances that might have inspired David to write this particular lament, its words are as timeless as this day in which we live and its truths applicable to the changing human emotions we all deal with if we are honest with ourselves. We would like our faith to be strong and unquenchable.  But we must admit that at times we sink into deep valleys of despondency and doubt, and we need help to come through the “anguish,”  “fear and trembling” and “horror” that can overwhelm and from which we truly want to escape.

But the truth is that we can’t sprout wings like a beautiful dove and fly away from situations.  We cannot always find a means of escape.  We must walk through the valley of the shadows.  But then a strong assurance comes—and herein is the heart of David’s lament:  Not to escape, but to learn how to be sustained, how to walk through.  And the answer is “Cast your burden on the Lord, and He will sustain you.  He will never permit the righteous to be moved.”  Notice that David did not come to the conclusion that all the troubles and terrors would vanish, for God permits adversity.  But the triumph comes in that God is there to help us bear whatever we face.

Every day brings strong testimony to God’s presence and power to help us overcome whatever we meet in life.  Yesterday I had an unexpected visit from a beautiful young lady who a few years ago helped me with home care when my beloved husband was ill.  During those days when she was assisting me with nursing duties, we developed a strong rapport and we talked much about the mercies of God and the love He has for us.  Yesterday she shared with me, as a matter of prayer and concern, the fact that she is now going through intensive care of her own mother who suffers from the ravages of cancer.  From attending those who were her charges when she was a home health nursing aide, she now has one very dear to her whom she must attend and help to make comfortable.  My heart goes out in prayer to this young lady as she seeks to make her mother’s last days as comfortable and peaceful as possible.  “Pray for me,” she said as we embraced upon her leaving, “that I can continue to cast all my cares upon the Lord.”  For my friend, her mother, and all of us who bear burdens, what deep gratitude we have in the knowledge that escape is not the answer but dependence on God’s mercies is sufficient.

For those who hurt today:  Don’t fly away as a dove.  Know that God loves you and understands.  “Cast your burden upon the Lord, for He cares for you!”

No comments:

Post a Comment