Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Let the Redeemed of the Lord Say So



“O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, for His steadfast love endures forever!  Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom He has redeemed from trouble, and gathered in from lands, from the east and from the west, from the north and from the south…Let them thank the Lord for His steadfast love, for His wondrous works to the children of man!  And let them offer sacrifices of thanksgiving, and tell of His deeds in songs of joy!...The upright see it and are glad, and all wickedness shuts its mouth.  Whoever is wise, let him attend to these things; let them consider the steadfast love of the Lord.” –Psalm 107: 1-3, 21-22, 42-43 (ESV. Read Psalm 107).

Scholars are generally agreed that Psalm 107, another long Psalm, is both an historical psalm and a psalm entreating the people to give thanks to God, expressing gratitude to Him for His “steadfast love” during times when they were in exile.  Now that they have returned to their homeland, they are to remember God’s care and provision and bring sacrifices of praise to Him, recalling the distresses through which the Lord led them.  The divisions of the Psalm are significant:

                ·Introduction and invitation to praise and thank God (1-3)
                ·God’s care during desert wanderings (4-9)
                ·God’s provision to those in darkness, in prison, in forced labor (10-16)
                ·Those who suffered for their own folly but who turned to God (17-22)
                ·Those who suffered on the seas, in forced service, were spared (23-32)
                ·God accomplishes reversals in situations to benefit His people (33-38)
                ·His children are brought low, but God restores them; praise be to God! (39-43)
    
It is good for us to give sincere testimony to the Lord’s work in our lives.  A caution is also necessary:  do not allow personal testimony to reflect one’s own goodness; the credit for any personal accomplishments should go to the Lord God.  “Thank God for His steadfast love and mercy” should ever be the theme of our personal testimony; and this with humility.  One of “the life verses” I claim is Philippians 4:13:  “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”  Daily in my work and in my life I want what I do to be a reflection of Christ who gives me incentive and strength. Recently I have been re-reading some journals I kept over the long period of my husband’s illness when I would visit him daily while he was in the Veterans’ Home, seek to feed him at least one of his three daily meals (sometimes two), and do what I could to make him comfortable and encourage him.  Physically, I would not have had the stamina to continue this long vigil.  I will admit that sometimes the days grew long and I myself would become very weary.  But then I would recall the exceedingly godly life my husband led before his illness, the many people he turned to the Lord, and the encouragement he gave to others.  Remembering, my heart would fill with gratitude for the “steadfast love” of the Lord and the privilege I was given to be able to keep vigil by the side of one of His choice servants.  These journals, for whatever worth they may be, recall for me how the Lord was with us, even in the “desert wastes” of long-term illness   To God be the glory!  He never leaves His own helpless, and, indeed, “His steadfast love endures forever!”

Prayer:  Oh, Lord.  Help us remember all Your benefits to us.  Let the redeemed give thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I've sought to make these devotionals for the whole month of November a series on the importance of the Christian giving thanks. So often we take for granted the blessings we enjoy daily. More often than not, we think our own industry and ingenuity are responsible for our getting along as well as we do in life. But all the time "we live and move and have our being" because of God's steadfast love toward us. Thanks be to God!

    ReplyDelete