Tuesday, October 30, 2012

In God I Trust



“This I know, that God is for me.  In God, whose word I praise, in the Lord, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.  What can man do to me?  I must perform my vows to You, O God; I will render thank offerings to You. For You have delivered my soul from death, yes, my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.” –Psalm 56:9b-13 (ESV).

We are in the count-down period before our national election, with one week remaining to pray that the results will be pleasing to God and that we will elect responsible and honest persons to fulfill the public offices of our land.  The focal passage for today from Psalm 56: 9b-12 is a very personal affirmation attributed to David, according to the note added probably years later, written when “the Philistines seized him in Gath.”  This lament—as well as the praise it contains—is believed to be related to the events in I Samuel 21:10-15 when David was fleeing from Saul’s wrath and sought refuge in Gath at the hands of King Achish.  David pretended to be out of his mind in order to escape.  We might think:  “To what lengths would David go?”  He lived in a time of much personal danger to himself; if he devised a pretense of insanity to escape, at least David gave God the credit for saving his life:  “in God I trust, I shall not be afraid” (56:11).  Because God is trustworthy, David expected and received recompense on his enemies.

I have just read the November 2012 Decision Magazine published by the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.  The whole issue, which no doubt reaches recipients days ahead of the beginning of November, is devoted to Americans’responsibility to vote (and in particular Christians in America).  The full-page advertisement by Billy Graham, which I mentioned in the October 24 devotional as being published in the October 21, 2012 Wall Street Journal,  was also reprinted in the November 2012 Decision magazine.  The month’s message from the Rev. Dr. Billy Graham was reprinted from a 1964 message delivered in a crusade held in the United States.  His message was clear then, and still timely for today:  “When a nation departs from God, judgment follows…If our nation at this hour would turn to the Word of God, then I guarantee on the authority of God’s Word that the enemies at our gates could be pushed back; God would intervene and put them to flight” (“America Under Judgment” by Billy Graham.  November, 2012 Decision Magazine, p. 14).

One of the guest writers in the same issue of Decision Magazine is Dr. David Jeremiah, who gives nine developments that undermine America’s strength today.  These, quoted here with due credit to Dr. Jeremiah, are: (1) “The rise of angry atheists;  (2) Intensifying of spiritual warfare; (3) Dethroning of Jesus Christ; (4)  Redefining of marriage; (5)  America’s loss of its moral compass; (6) Growing marginalization of the Bible; (7) Growing irrelevance of the Christian church; (8) Growing influence of rogue nations; and (9) Erosion of America’s loyalty to Israel.”  Dr. Jeremiah warns, “A system that is continually degenerating will pass into oblivion” (November Decision Magazine, p. 11).

To summarize the major theme of the November issue, Franklin Graham, who succeeded his father as  executive director of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, writes pointedly that following 2 Chronicles 7:14 is the only way to turn the tide of America’s complete demoralization and “save the republic” as Benjamin Franklin urged in 1776.  I know of no other way to keep our republic” (p. 40).

Prayer:  Lord, awaken Americans to our downward spiral.  Open our eyes to our sinful position that we may repent and turn to You.  Give us the courage of our convictions to demand that our leaders be accountable to You and to the principles of justice and mercy.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment