Thursday, October 11, 2012

A Goodly Heritage, A Firm Foundation



“The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot.  The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places:  Indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.  I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me.  I have set the Lord always before me; because He is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.  Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure.  For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let Your holy one see corruption.” –Psalm 16:5-10 (ESV).

The explanatory note at the beginning of Psalm 16 says that it is “A Miktam of David.”  “Miktam” is probably a musical liturgical term and also means that the psalm is dedicated to the saints of the land who delight David with their faithfulness to the Lord.  When the faithful, ‘the saints’ sing Psalm 16, they reinforce their faith and the faith of all those around them.  They express great confidence in the Lord’s guidance and care and the knowledge that they can take refuge in the Lord.  At this crucial time in our country, it would be well for us to read all of Psalm 16, take it to heart, and join with those saints of old who did not waver even under great duress.  They knew without a doubt that they had a goodly inheritance of faith.  “You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you” (Psalm 16:2).

Scholars believe that this Psalm by David may have been written shortly after the Lord gave His gracious covenant to David and assured him of an enduring throne.  We read about this in 2 Samuel 7, with David’s confirmation of acceptance in 2 Samuel 7:29: “Now therefore may it please you to bless the house of your servant, so that it may continue forever before you.  For you, O Lord God, have spoken and with your blessing shall the house of your servant be blessed forever.”  When the angel Gabriel appeared to Mary to announce that she would conceive and bear a son, and name Him Jesus, for “He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High.  And the Lord God will give to Him the throne of His father David, and He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.”  (Luke 1: 32-33).  What measure of God’s purpose could have been understood by David, we know not.  But he did recognize and was assured by the fact that God had chosen him as king of Israel, and that his kingship would have an influence on succeeding generations.

When America was founded, the leaders who were at the forefront in establishing our Constitution and the laws of our land were aware of their calling and purpose as being God-directed.  They were not ashamed to own their faith in God or to admit their dependence on Him.  Thomas Jefferson in his “Summary View of Rights” stated:  “God who gave us life gave us liberty.  And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?  That they are not to be violated but with His wrath?  Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever.” (In Notes on the State of Virginia.  Query XVIII, p. 237). David reminded us in Psalm 16 that we need to turn again and again to God for counsel and that we are to set the Lord always before us.

Prayer.   Dear Lord, Raise up stalwart and God-fearing leaders to govern our land, from local and state offices to our nation’s highest government positions.  May they seek Your counsel and lead with justice and stability on sound principles that have been tried and proven in the anvil of time.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment