Wednesday, March 7, 2012

God, Our Rock

May my teaching drop as the rain, my speech distill as the dew, like gentle rain upon the tender grass, and like showers upon the herb. For I will proclaim the name of the Lord, ascribe greatness to our God! The Rock, His works is perfect, for all His ways are justice. A God of faithfulness and without iniquity.” –Deuteronomy 32:2-4 (ESV). “There is none holy like the Lord; there is none besides You, there is no rock like our God.” –I Samuel 2:2 (ESV). “Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for You have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy.” –Psalm 61:1-3 (ESV).

In the scripture verses selected for our consideration today on the theme of “God, Our Rock,” we hear the heartfelt expression of three songs lifted in praise and adoration to God. From Deuteronomy is the noble song of Moses lauding God for choosing Israel and leading the host of people to freedom into a promised land. In I Samuel 2:2, is a part of Hannah’s song of praise. She had reason to rejoice in God the Rock. Her prayer for a son had been answered and out of her barren estate came the child Samuel, a gift from the Lord. The song of David in Psalm 61 is not the only expression of God as Rock in the Psalms, but this particular song is a powerful prayer that all of us should earnestly pray: “Lead me to the rock that is higher than I” (Ps. 61:3).

Rock, a frequent name for Jehovah God, expresses His absolute and steadfast faithfulness. David referred to God the Rock on several occasions. Psalm 18: 1-3 is another strong testimony: “I love you, O Lord my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock in Whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.”

In seeking to ascribe attributes to God, the writers of both the Old and New Testaments used Rock as a metaphor for God. A Rock is laid in Zion that becomes the foundation of hope and is a prophecy of the Messiah: “Therefore, thus says the Lord God, 'Behold, I am the one who has laid as a foundation in Zion a stone, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone of a sure foundation. Whoever believes will not be in haste.’” (Isaiah 28:16. ESV). “The stone which the builders have rejected has become the cornerstone.” (Psalm 118:22, ESV). “And He shall bring forth the top stone amid shouts of 'grace, grace to it!’ (Zechariah 3:7b, ESV). Old Testament writers looked forward to the fulfillment of prophecy when Christ would establish His kingdom, an everlasting kingdom. We live on the side of fulfilled prophecy after this promise of the true Rock came to pass in Jesus Christ. Thank God that the Stone of whom Peter wrote is fulfilled: “For it stands in Scripture: Behold I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone, chosen and precious, and whoever believes in Him will not be put to shame.” (I Peter 2:6, ESV). How majestically did Augustus M. Toplady (1740-1778) express the truth: “My God is the rock of my refuge" from Psalm 94:22 in the words of his beloved hymn:

“Rock of Ages, cleft for me, Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood, From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure, Save from wrath and make me pure.”

Thank God! In life and in death we are safe in the “Rock of Ages”!

No comments:

Post a Comment