Thursday, January 26, 2012

Death Is Swallowed Up in Victory

So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, ‘Death is swallowed up in victory.’ O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law, But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labor is not in vain in the Lord” –I Corinthians 15:54-58 (KJV)

January 26 is an anniversary for me, one I will remember as long as I have mind to think and heart to remember. One year ago today my beloved husband, the Rev. Grover D. Jones, breathed his last as I held his hand. Thinking about those last weeks of his life as his weakened and emaciated body lived out his last days on earth brings deep sorrow to my heart and tears to my eyes. He was kept comfortable, but waiting by the bedside of a loved one as death draws near is an experience we had rather not endure in this life. Death does have a sting. Death parts us temporarily from life as we have known it—and for me, a long, happy and productive marriage of sixty-one years. That is a long time to love a person unconditionally and with an undying love. And parting, even though the one left behind is a firm believer in all the promises of God and eternity, brings a grief of missing the physical presence, caring lovingly for needs, touching and expressing love.

But victory is possible through our Lord Jesus Christ. I knew—and continue to know—that I would not call him back (even if I had the power to do so) from his place of rest, rejoicing, reconciliation and reunion. He cannot return to me but I can go to him. And in the meantime, I can rejoice that he no longer suffers the infirmities of this world. I can rejoice in the marvelous legacy he left me, his other family members, and so many people whose lives he touched through his steadfast life and Christ-centered ministry. Hundreds during the past year have encouraged and strengthened me by remembering deeds of kindness and words of godly wisdom with which Grover was able to help them. “Death is swallowed up in victory!” James Barrie penned a truth when he wrote: “God gives us memories so we can have roses in December.”

My testimony is that God does give the victory over death through our Lord Jesus Christ. And the Lord gives strength to meet each day, and to help anyone (including me) who desires to continue to “abound in the work of the Lord.” His grace is sufficient. I wrote the following poem in tribute to Grover and for his Memorial Service. I believe the words were God-inspired; I know they are my testimony:
Death at Times Is Kind
(For Grover)

How can I rue your death and cry and weep?
Why keep holding on as if to delay
Your grand entrance to Heaven at the gate
That leads to peace and everlasting life?

We shared a faith that keeps in life and death,
A steadfast hope for better times beyond.
How could I deny the crown awaiting you,
And all the joys of labors finished here?

As I beheld your earthly face aglow
With life’s last smile, a halo to recall,
I knew that wishing you a longer stay
Would be denying you your golden shore.

Death at times is kind, good, a blessed release;
It leads us into quiet, enduring peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment