Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Assurance of God’s Help

Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, and the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.” – Isaiah 43:1b-3a (ESV).

Another day, we will consider God calling each of us by name. For today’s thoughts God-ward, please take the promise of God as written by Isaiah to protect and help us in times of distress. He firmly states that when we pass through waters, rivers and fire—each of which could be considered literal dangers—or figuratively representing challenges we each face in life’s journey.

Grover and I had many friends in the ministry, stalwart men (and a few women) who were ordained and set apart to be missionaries, pastors, or to work in other related church work. I remember in particular one who was a country preacher, who pastored ably and well in rural churches in North Georgia. He was a paragon of humility and faithfulness, but he seemed to have more than his share of hard times. His beloved wife became quite ill and endured years of poor health. He was ever tender in his care-giving while managing to attend to the duties of full-time work at a secular job (for he was a bi-vocational preacher) and to meet the obligations of his congregation. He met and married another godly woman. She became ill with cancer and was overcome by the disease. One of his favorite verses was Isaiah 43:2. I remember on many occasions when he would quote the verse in his resonating voice, in a telephone conversation or when we met in person. Once I heard him preach on his “favorite” verse. His trials, though many, his deep waters, flooding rivers, fire and troubles did not deter him from his stalwart belief and assurance that God’s help was ever-present with him. Every time I read and meditate upon this verse, I think of the example of this man of God who himself now is in the heavenly realm, praising God and thanking Him.

When I was a teenager, I rode a bus eight miles from my farm home to high school. I walked over half a mile to catch the bus on Highway 129. One morning was especially stormy, so I bundled up in raincoat, galoshes and umbrella to go the half-mile to the bus stop. Fall had already come, and it was chilly, and of course I got damp and cold. During the day, the storm increased. An inordinate amount of rainfall came, and the river that lay between my home and the bus stop flooded while I was at school. I worried how I would get home, knowing the danger of Nottley River in flood stage. When the bus came to my stop, it was still raining hard. But there was my father with our gentlest mule, saddled and ready to take me home. He instructed me to sit behind him, and to hold on tightly, as we were going through the flooded waters. The trip was frightening, but less so because my father was there to guide me through the waters that swirled and eddied in anger against the sure-footed Pet, our name for our faithful mule. We were soaked when we arrived home, but we made it safely. God’s assurance of help is as tender and loving as was my father’s rescue of his teen-aged daughter on that dark, rainy, storm-tossed day when waters posed a danger to cross. As I, I know my father was praying as we made that hazardous crossing through rising waters. God assuredly got us through safely. And He ever stands ready to assist those who will go to Him in prayer, believing. He does not promise and not fulfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment