Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cultivate Humility

The reward for humility and fear of the Lord is riches and honor and life.” –Proverbs 22:4 (ESV) “Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.”-Philippians 2:3 (ESV). “Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, ‘He yearns jealously over the spirit that He has made to dwell in us?’ But He gives more grace. Therefore it says, ‘God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.’” –James 4:5-6 (ESV).Humility is a personal characteristic that is often sadly lacking in modern day society. Sometimes, to define a word, we must state the opposite of what it means. Humility is seen in those who are not arrogant, not proud, not puffed up. Humility is meekness, not thinking of oneself as better than others.

Both the Old and New Testaments teach the value of humility. In Psalm 51:17 and Micah 6:8 we learn that God desires even more than sacrifices, that the worshiper have an humble spirit. We usually think of an humble person as lowly, not with riches or fame, yet Proverbs 22:4 states that “the reward for humility and fear of the Lord is riches and honor and life.” Kings were reminded to be humble so that God could exalt them. In Jesus Christ, we have the epitome of humility. Jesus invited all his followers to come to Him and, like Him, to follow humility: “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is lightl." (Matthew 11:28-30).

Early in my husband’s ministry, I had a very good example of humility in action, in a lady in our church who was humility personified. Soon after we moved to that church Mrs. Pearl asked me to go with her on a mission to someone ill whom we needed to visit. Pearl had told me in advance that one of the women’s groups at the church was caring for a sick, needy lady, and my pre-assigned job for this mission was to make some homemade chicken soup. Pearl drove us to a run-down, shabby area of the neighborhood and stopped at a very poor house. When we went in, I was introduced to the patient, a very thin, emaciated lady lying on a not-too-comfortable looking bed. After introducing me, Pearl then went into action, directing me in a firm but gentle way of what needed to be done. She would bathe the patient and change her bed while I was to clean the two room house as best I could. (Yes, Pearl had brought all the cleaning equipment we needed which we had unloaded from her car, including rubber gloves for both of us while we did our work). After a while of very hard work, we had our patient clean, settled into a clean bed, in a straightened up and much cleaner house. I found out that Pearl did this mission of mercy every week, and had lined up other women to help care for the patient on a rotating basis, so that she would have fresh food and visits from someone every day of the week. A task? Yes. But leading the way by example was Pearl, one who presided well and with dignity over the Woman’s Missionary Union Associational meeting, and could hold her own in almost any discussion or meeting. But she had a servant heart, the humility and love to help one of the very lowliest and neediest persons in our community. I remember with gratitude the example Mrs. Pearl set for me. She was living out the scripture, “He gives more grace.” She wanted no praise for the good deeds she did for the poor, sick woman in our community who needed help so badly. There was a need and Mrs. Pearl was willing to lead out in fulfilling that need. Her acts of compassion drew no attention to herself. She saw and acted upon needs. She exemplified humility in action. What can you do for others in the spirit of humility?

No comments:

Post a Comment